 Parts / 226
Re: What's in a part name? (WAS: 4679 Fall Spring Cleaning Bonus)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 07:01:21 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Allan Bedford wrote:
   In lugnet.parts, Didier Enjary wrote:
   In lugnet.market.shopping, Allan Bedford wrote:

   Are they studs or knobs?

Definitely studs, as even french people use, not mainly but only, this term.

IMHO, studs make sense more than knobs because of terms such “studless” or “SNOT”....knobs will lead to knobless and “KNOT”.

   I *think* that “knobs” may be more common in the U.K. but I could be very wrong. It would be interesting to hear from someone who uses the term (if anyone) and know where they are. I know at least one reference to it, and it was one made by the LEGO company here. And now that I look at that page again, they also refer to the ‘washing machine’ brick and mention that tiles are also called “smoothies”. Anyone know who uses that label?

In french, tiles are named “plaques lisses” (smooth plates)...but even more commonly “tiles”.

   Are they offset or jumper plates?

AZMEP plates :)

O.K. you can’t just tell us a name like that and not explain what it means. :) I’m very interested in knowing the background of that term.

Sorry. This term is a german acronym. It deals with all offset technique building. As an offset plate, the jumper plate is called AZMEP plate (at least by me).

You can learn more here : http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=680666

and here : http://www.holgermatthes.de/bricks_us/offset.htm

You notice that “jumper plate” is also called “center plate”. That’s maybe the part which has the higher number of different name.

   Are they headlight or washing machine bricks?

Erling bricks :)

Ditto to what I said above. I’d love to know what this means or translates to.

Erling Thue Dideriksen is (was ?) a LEGO employee.

http://news.lugnet.com/build/schleim/?n=3

If you are a lugnet.parts fan, you should also read lugnet.build.schleim ;-)

(schleim is german for snot and, then, for SNOT. - Discussions on other building techniques such SNIR or AZMEP are welcomed there)

   A very good group IMHO. For instance, there are a lot of place talking about new sets....but I’ve not been able to see a place talking about new parts, which is of higher interest for MOCers.

Actually, now that I think of it, I guess this discussion should at least partly belong in this group:

http://news.lugnet.com/db/brictionary/

Sadly that group gets even less traffic than LUGNET.parts. :(

Regards,
Allan B.