 Parts / 227
Re: What's in a part name? (WAS: 4679 Fall Spring Cleaning Bonus)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:59:05 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Didier Enjary wrote:
   In lugnet.parts, Allan Bedford wrote:
   In lugnet.parts, Didier Enjary wrote:
   In lugnet.market.shopping, Allan Bedford wrote:

   Are they studs or knobs?

Definitely studs, as even french people use, not mainly but only, this term.

IMHO, studs make sense more than knobs because of terms such “studless” or “SNOT”....knobs will lead to knobless and “KNOT”.

I will admit to being a big UNfan of acronyms, so I steer clear of using them, much less creating new ones. :)

   In french, tiles are named “plaques lisses” (smooth plates)...but even more commonly “tiles”.

Very good to know.

   Are they offset or jumper plates?

AZMEP plates :)

O.K. you can’t just tell us a name like that and not explain what it means. :) I’m very interested in knowing the background of that term.

Sorry. This term is a german acronym. It deals with all offset technique building. As an offset plate, the jumper plate is called AZMEP plate (at least by me).

You can learn more here : http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=680666

and here : http://www.holgermatthes.de/bricks_us/offset.htm

Ah ok, I see. :)

Thanks for those links. Those are both excellent pages.

   You notice that “jumper plate” is also called “center plate”. That’s maybe the part which has the higher number of different name.

I think you’re right.

   Are they headlight or washing machine bricks?

Erling bricks :)

Ditto to what I said above. I’d love to know what this means or translates to.

Erling Thue Dideriksen is (was ?) a LEGO employee.

http://news.lugnet.com/build/schleim/?n=3

Very interesting. I didn’t recall that exact term, though I do remember reading Todd’s first post to that group.

   If you are a lugnet.parts fan, you should also read lugnet.build.schleim ;-)

I did a search but it looks like Todd’s post (linked above) was the only time so far that the term has ever been used in .schleim. ;)

   (schleim is german for snot and, then, for SNOT. - Discussions on other building techniques such SNIR or AZMEP are welcomed there)

I tend to most often build in a fairly traditional studs up fashion. But I do realize the huge potential offered by combining other techniques. Still so much to learn. Isn’t that another part of what makes this hobby fun? :)

Best regards, Allan B.