 Parts / 228
Re: What's in a part name? (WAS: 4679 Fall Spring Cleaning Bonus)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:33:19 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Allan Bedford wrote:
   I found those elements to be difficult to label. I’m not sure ‘bevel’ is perfect, but then neither is wedge. ;)

Yes, exactly.

   Actually, it seems like a very good term for slope bricks.

I think slope bricks are actually well-named and are one of the major categories of elements that everyone can seem to more-or-less agree upon.

I wasn’t seriously suggesting we try to rename slopes. But bevel would be so much more ... taxonimetrical.

   guess I would tend to talk about the “slope” of a roof and sice those pieces are sometimes also called “roof bricks” then I guess slope works pretty well. Of course, some people would talk about the “pitch” of the roof, so I wonder why they never ended up being called “pitch bricks”. :)

We shoulda just stuck with “Roof tile” -- to be extra confusing.

   My favorite part name is ‘bearclaw’.

Hmmmmmm...... I don’t know that one. But I’ll take a guess. Is it this:

Ooo. Good guess. But it was actually this part:

Part 4275

Maybe 4085 could be “dog paw” or something...

I heard about this name years ago, when a person whose name I do not recall ran a “Name that Brick” monthly contest. I always liked the fanciful names better than the descripitive names...

Steve