 Parts / 222
Re: What's in a part name? (WAS: 4679 Fall Spring Cleaning Bonus)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:20:14 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.market.shopping, Allan Bedford wrote:
   To finish, I might note that in the Brickopedia I took a slightly different approach and labeled ‘wedge’ elements as beveled bricks. In looking at the meaning of ‘wedge’ I wasn’t convinced that it was the best word for my purposes. So I went with bevel in the way it described, “the angle or inclination of a line or surface that meets another at any angle but 90°.” Using those bricks can (in some installations) result in the side or top of a model having a surface that is beveled in relation to the rest of the walls or surfaces.

Interesting. To me, ‘bevel’ would apply to slope bricks more than wedge/skew bricks.

I found those elements to be difficult to label. I’m not sure ‘bevel’ is perfect, but then neither is wedge. ;)

Had I known about ‘skew’ I just might have tried to resurrect that term. I quite like it.

   Actually, it seems like a very good term for slope bricks.

I think slope bricks are actually well-named and are one of the major categories of elements that everyone can seem to more-or-less agree upon. I guess I would tend to talk about the “slope” of a roof and sice those pieces are sometimes also called “roof bricks” then I guess slope works pretty well. Of course, some people would talk about the “pitch” of the roof, so I wonder why they never ended up being called “pitch bricks”. :)

   My favorite part name is ‘bearclaw’.

Hmmmmmm...... I don’t know that one. But I’ll take a guess. Is it this:

If not... (and I suspect it’s not) I’m curious to know what part you are thinking of.

Later, Allan B.