 Parts / 223
Re: What's in a part name? (WAS: 4679 Fall Spring Cleaning Bonus)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:26:36 GMT

In lugnet.parts, orionrobots@gmail.com wrote:

I think a few of us have our own terms. I have heard the studs
referred to as "lugs" as well, although I did have to explain to
someone that it was not reason Lugnet is so named.

And from my perspective, if I heard the word 'lug' I would think of a 'lug nut'
and studs don't really remind me of those.  But it's interesting to hear that
someone does, indeed, use a term like that.  This is what makes this topic so
much fun.  You get to learn more about how people individualize the hobby.

How about Technic Beams vs Technic Bricks.

I went with bricks as being the Technic pieces with studs on top and beams as
being the pieces without.  I didn't get much more fancy than that.  :)

I admit to never having
thought of the headlight part as a washing machine part.

I'm not sure who or where uses "washing machine" but I have heard it.

I presume
when you say offset, you mean what I try to refer to  (rather long
windedly) as 2 x 1 with 1 stud plates, or simply center stud plates?

Or "jumper plates".  Yup, I think that's one part with many names.  I like
"offset" plate since (in my mind) that describes what it's doing to the piece
placed on top of it.  It's "offsetting" it by a half stud.  I don't really see
it as "jumping" anything, so I don't use that term.

Regards,
Allan B.