 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 279
278  |  280
Subject:
The Way Forward (was: Spring 2003 Meeting Planning)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:25:53 GMT

Howdy All,

Laura and I have discussed things and would like to post a joint reply.

Thank you to all who posted a reply and discussed issues about the spring
2003 meeting. We now have a better idea of the thoughts and feelings of the
group.

We'd like to keep this as much of a democracy as possible. We believe the
best choices should be ones that please the most people. And we can only do
that if you speak up and make your thoughts known.

We appreciate your posts here at LUGNET. It will reach a broader audience,
and hopefully attract more interest and possibly helpful advice from others.

Having thought about things a while, we will offer some suggestions for us
to follow. Please feel free to disagree and comment as you see fit. The more
input, the better!

• In general, perhaps we're moving a little too fast and trying to do too
much. However, it's most definitely not too soon. We're glad we're
discussing things now instead of two weeks before the meeting. Let's keep going!

• Tom's right. We should do what is most enjoyable to us. After all, that is
the purpose of our hobby. Therefore, perhaps we should hold off on some of
the public events and trying to plan too many different things for our meeting.

We suggest that we spend a Saturday "playing" and doing our thing together,
as we've always done. If we have the appropriate facilities and everyone is
in agreement, perhaps on Sunday we can invite a small amount of the public
to come and view our stuff and ask questions, like we did at NI (but any
public event will not be the focus of our meeting).

• Space will be the major theme. That seemed most agreeable when we
discussed it at NI, and we should stick to it. But as always, please bring
whatever MOCs and other stuff you wish (e.g. trains, castle, dragons,
cranes, etc.). Historically, we've all enjoyed seeing each others creations
regardless if they fit the given theme or not. It's all good!

• As for the meeting location, bigger is better (as we had at NI). However,
if the meeting room sponsor requires too many activities that stretch us too
far and stress us too much, then we should reconsider.

To Anthony in particular- thank you so much for the work you've done so far,
and inquiring about a potential meeting location. If Boeing will only go for
a meeting that has many public activities and a focus on engineering and
robotics, then perhaps that's not best for our group. If it doesn't work
out, then it doesn't. You tried, and we greatly appreciate your help!

• Meeting date: again, since this is for us, let's decide what's best for
us. March sounds nice to us, regardless of when spring break occurs. I
suggest that we shoot for any of the first 3 weekends in March and just
leave it that way. We'll set a specific date when we nail down a meeting
location. Or, if you want it that last weekend in March, we'll just have to
follow Tom to Las Vegas and have our meeting there! :-) Viva Los Legos!

• Give this time to digest. As discussed, not everyone will see this and be
able to respond in a timely manner. Also, understand that not everyone will
respond. We're sure there are some that will just go with the flow and show
up regardless of meeting date or activities.

How do you feel about the above suggestions? Please reply or email us with
your thoughts.

We will find our "happy place" and make sure that our next meeting is a
blast. We're already looking forward to it, and seeing y'all again!

sincerely,
Laura Hayden & TJ Avery