 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 268
267  |  269
Subject:
Spring 2003 Meeting Planning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:09:52 GMT

Howdy all,

There has been a lot of talk via email recently about the meeting, and it
was suggessted that we take it to LUGNET for the benefit of those not on the
email list. So, here it is:

MEETING DISCUSSIONS AT NI

At the recent fall TEXLUG meeting at NI, we brainstormed about a 2003
meeting in the spring. The following ideas were concluded:

• Meeting location to be in Houston
• Focus on the space theme, and possibly bringing moonbase modules
(see: http://www.classic-space.com/moonbase/start/)
• Inviting the public to show off our stuff
• Holding presentations (CAD, building techniques, etc.)
• Contests for kids
• Building and play area for kids (everyone bring 1 creator bucket and their
old bricks)

MR. SAVA'S EXTENSIVE EMAIL

Anthony Sava is currently working on scheduling a suitable meeting room
(sorry, man. you're hired ;-) He needs specific information, and would like
comments. Below are some questions from him:

1 What do we want to do, what will we need, and what do we want to accomplish?
2 What about holding a contest? What type?
3 What is our theme.  Space?  Medieval? Trains? A mix?
4 How many people will be attending?
5 When is the meeting going to be?
6 What size of room do we need?
7 What do we need furnished for us in the room?
8 Do we want to actually do anything during the meeting?
9 How public are we to make this, and What type of publicity do we want?

Anthony went on to discuss things in a little more detail. Specifically,
he's looking into obtaining meeting space at a Boeing/NASA facility. He's
speaking to Wendy Locklear with Boeing's NASA Systems Community and
Educations Relations.

I'm paraphrasing this, but he made these points:

• Using the new racers sets and a few creator tubs, hold a "Pinewood Dirby
type of race, where the kids would race for prizes of either LEGO sets or
maybe even Boeing freebies (like bumper stickers or hats or something)"

• Considering this is Boeing Aerospace, the Space/Technic/Mindstorms themes
seem appropriate. Particulary stuff involving robotics and engineering.

• Considering the location and meeting sponsor, it will not fly well of only
3 of us show up. We need commitment from a lot of people to ensure a decent
turnout. (Anthony put this more politely, but I'll just come right out and
say it :-) I think we need a good 20 people, or more. I know we can do it!)

• We need to plan this soon, considering Boeing has a schedule that's
planned a year or two in advance.

SUBSEQUENT EMAIL RESPONSES
(I'm just hitting the main points made, and not copying the email. Apologies
in advance for any mistakes or misunderstandings)

From Steve:
• hold the meeting before, during or after spring break
• We should publicize it as space & robotics, but incorporate all themes due
to the fact all kids are not interested in space and or robotics.
• Publicity: a small insert in the news paper might do and telling employees.

From Laura Hayden:
• Second weekend of spring break would probably be best
• If we hope to get more AFOL attendance, we need to be posting to lugnet
• We could also get folks from Louisiana, Arkansas, and Oaklahoma
• Make an announcement once the details are decided
• There should be a prize for the AFOLs
(Which would also help to generate interest. Could be judged by the public.)

From Matthew Sailors:
• First child due in January- CONGRATULATIONS!!!
(not relevant to this, but very important news!)
• Houston good!
• Pinewood derby-style event good!
• Space and robotics good!
(for local interest and with the potential sponsors)
• Themes: Space (the moonbase thing) and Mindstorms
• Hold a workshop on Technic/Mindstorms construction techniques
• We can do programming demos and a class using many/all of the programming
systems including:  the out-of-the-box environment; NQC, LegOS, micro Java,
Forth, etc.
• We should try to organize a simple robotics contest as well.

From me, TJ Avery:
1 What we want to do and accomplish: see the bulleted list at the very top
of this post.
2 Contest: I think we all like the dragster derby thing. It's relatively
cheap and therefore feasible for us. It has my vote.
3 Theme: Space- definitely. Mindstorms- definitely. Technic- sure, why not?
:-) I think we should bring what we can that fits the themes, but as always,
bring whatever LEGO creations you like.
4 Number of Attendees: This is up to RSVP's. Since we're announcing this
early on, we have the best chance. I'm sure if there's a high interest, then
we can easily get 20 people, or more.
5 When: Spring Break. I'm not sure on exact dates, I know it's not the same
for everyone.
6 Room Size: Similar to NI. Especially if we have a public viewing
7 Room Furnishings: Tables and Chairs (similar to NI). Other stuff needed:
presentation area and aids (podium, screen, projector, computer),
refrigerator, microwave, etc.
8 Activities: MOC displays, Train layout, Contests (derby thing),
Presentations (CAD, etc.), MOC contest (public judging w/ prizes)
9 The Public: I think it's a good thing, judging from our recent experience
at NI. I also think it's good for only certain periods of time (e.g. Sunday
10 to 2, Sat. 2 to 6, etc.). We can advertize on LUGNET, at Boeing, at local
schools, etc. But we need to think about facility size, crowd management,
and how receptive Boeing is to hoards of people in their place. Personally,
I think inviting employees + their families and a few classrooms of kids to
come in is enough.

SUMMARY

• Please post here for the benefit of others, and to record it for
posterity. If you can't post, email to me and I'll do it.
• We're on the right track. This should provide Anthony with enough answers
to continue with the planning.
• Oh yes- Anthony, I think you're the official 2003 spring meeting organizer
now. Thanks! ;-)
• Thank you Anthony for getting this started and inquiring about a meeting
place. Thanks to all who have responded.

TJ
www.texlug.org