 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 270
Re: Spring 2003 Meeting Planning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:57:05 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.texlug, Thomas Avery writes:
Howdy all,

SNIPPED FOR SPACE

SUMMARY

• Please post here for the benefit of others, and to record it for
posterity. If you can't post, email to me and I'll do it.
• We're on the right track. This should provide Anthony with enough answers
to continue with the planning.
• Oh yes- Anthony, I think you're the official 2003 spring meeting organizer
now. Thanks! ;-)
• Thank you Anthony for getting this started and inquiring about a meeting
place. Thanks to all who have responded.

TJ
www.texlug.org
Hi All,
After reading all the emails and TJ's posting, I will add my thoughts about
all of this.
First of all, I'm excited about the meeting and that we are getting a couple
of new people interested.  I look forward to meeting some new prospective
members and seeing other people's creations.
I think my feelings on what has taken place in the last day or so is similar
to Pat's posting.  I have some reservations on all of this!  I'm also
worried that we are rushing a little too fast into all of this and I'm not
sure we have the support to carry it off.
Can we really get 20 people to participate in our next meeting?  We've never
had that many show up in Austin.  I think we did good to get maybe 15 and
that's counting every person who appeared whether they actually participated
or not.
It's more than likely that we won't get the full Austin group to make it to
Houston, so we're looking at getting more than half of our next meeting
participants to come from the Houston area?  Is this even possible?  In
reality, that means we probably need to get about 20 to 25 to commit (since
there will no doubt be last minute cancellations).
I think we might be better off to plan a meeting where we aren't under this
type of pressure.  Why not just find a place where we can get together and
we can invite some public, but we don't have to try to put on something
special.  We can still plan on putting on special events and such, but if,
for some reason, they don't work out, then it's no big deal!  I would rather
have a meeting that turned out to be better than expected, then one that
turned out to be a dissappointment.
What I would like to see is a consensus on possible dates for this meeting
and for a group project!
The idea of having it around Spring Break is fine, but I'm not sure this
would actually help in getting kids to visit.  Wouldn't any weekend pretty
much mean that kids would be out of school?  My experience with Spring Break
is that many people leave town and won't be around during that time.  I'm
not sure we could get more people showing up during that time or not.  And
Spring Break doesn't help me as I will have to take a vacation day to attend
this meeting.  Since most of my fellow workers want off for Spring Break,
the chances of me getting off then are slim to nil!  If I know a date in
advance, then I will have a much better chance of getting off.  So I would
like for us to try and get a possible date in mind as soon as possible.  It
doesn't have to be set in stone, but I could at least have something to
shoot for.
The Space theme, I think, is a great idea!  I like the idea of doing modular
creations that we can all put together to create a large space community.  I
personally don't care as to the specifics, but I would like to have some
idea of what the specifics are so I can begin working on this as soon as
possible too.  I don't do my best work by throwing something together at the
last minute.
I'm all for having other presentations like robotics, etc.!  I think the
more the better, but let's keep these things secondary to our group project.
What I'm saying is let's keep things simple and uncomplicated.  The most I
can expect from myself is to bring a space module and maybe 1 or 2 of my
personal creations.  I know nothing about running a competition.  While I
would be glad to help out if I can, I'm not sure I could offer much help.
If a couple of people want to take on a project than I'm fine with it.  I
just want them to know that they may be on their own.  I seem to recall that
most of a day was used in just putting things up and taking a moment to
enjoy them.  Before we agree to all these added events, let's make sure we
have the logistics to pull it off.
That's my two cents worth!  I hope we can direct this momentum towards a
joint consensus get things rolling.  I look forward to seeing how this pans
out.  I hope everyone interested will respond and let us know what they
think.  We could especially use a head count on who's interested or not.  So
far, I think we've only heard from about 6 people.
And can someone tell me which weekend is considered "Spring break"?  I think
in this town, the college uses one week, the schools use two different
weeks.  I never know which is which.
regards,
Tom