 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 271
270  |  272
Subject:
Magna Carta for us Cautious Folks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 18:57:05 GMT

I've told myself many times, "Do not post late at night." Like say, 3:30 AM
or something like that. I'm particularly blunt at that hour.

Nevetheless, I feel the points that Tom and I make are valid. They are as
follows:

1. We seem to be going "Full Steam Ahead" into what merely should be a
proposal at this stage. Certainly we are "Damning the Torpedoes". If Boeing
wants a quick answer, my own answer would probably be "no." As Tom neatly
pointed out, our track record for attendance at the last three meetings as
been well below 20; at the last meeting -- less than half that (my own
addition to that point).

2. The number of things we are planning - public invite/display, kid
contest, financing of said contest (in case Boeing doesn't), presentations,
workshops - are all dependent upon point #1. Thus, if as Tom said we end up
having about 10 or 11 people show up, will we still be able to pull
everything off?

3. Is Spring Break really such a good idea? Like Tom said, folks are out of
town, usually right up to the Sunday night of the last weekend thereof. Plus
it looks like Tom may have some trouble getting that time off. We should aim
for a weekend either before or after Spring Break(s).

4. (Me alone). I am not at all intimidated about pointing this up: A circle
of people in TEXLUG seem perfectly willing to make policy for all and sundry
without really consulting the others. And NO, I do not consider a flurry of
posts made back and forth between the folks in this circle and within a
relatively short space of time to be "consulting". If you really want my
input, ask for it and exhibit some bloody patience in the meantime. I came
this close to being committed to a kid contest, contributing some $$ toward
same, and God knows what else. In short, back off. I can't tell whether it's
my toes I'm feeling or not.

That said, let me add some positive spin (with a dash of reality):

"I think we might be better off to plan a meeting where we aren't under this
type of pressure.  Why not just find a place where we can get together and
we can invite some public, but we don't have to try to put on something
special.  We can still plan on putting on special events and such, but if,
for some reason, they don't work out, then it's no big deal!  I would rather
have a meeting that turned out to be better than expected, then one that
turned out to be a disappointment."

                                 -- Tom Reed

Friggin-A, well-told!!

I second this more modest approach. Plus, we should get a head count this
very day and find out once and for all who is showing up thus far. And I
mean no-BS-I'll-be-there-only-a-natural-disaster-could-stop-me type of
committed:

TJ Avery
Laura Hayden
Anthony Sava
Pat Hough
? Tom Reed

That brings the total head count to 4.5.

As for a date, weekend dates in March 2003 are:

         1st - 2nd
         8th - 9th
         15th - 16th
         22nd - 23rd
         29th - 30th

After doing a little Internet research, I know that one of the Spring Breaks
will take place March 10 - 14 (UT Austin: includes weekends of 8-9 and
15-16); the other will occur March 17 - 21 (UTSA, OLLU: includes weekends of
15-16 and 22-23).

Therefore, Tom and I propose either the weekend of March 1-2 or March 29-30.
Preferably the latter.

That's all I have for now.

- Pat Hough