Re: I can't hear you ........
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:17:30 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Wayne McCaul writes:
Alrighty then,

I got a question. Why do you guys exclude magic from your BrikWar games? Is
it too powerful? I understand that the suppliments are broken (?) but I
think someone said that you could construct magic from the basic rules (I
haven't checked however).

Just to examplify (example-ify, mind you) Shaun's reply, the magic rules were
far too powerful and unbalanced.

Ex #1: As I recall there's no near misses. In fact, there's really not much in
the way of missing. Neil had a reaper-knight-guy who shot out a solid cone of
death, which penetrated walls (without dissipation), and affected a particular
area, no questions asked. If a fig was in the cone, he was affected, with no
skill modifiers to hit/miss. The only thing variable was how much damage it
would do. But when you're talking something like 3d10 (or whatever it was-- I
forget) per fig, most standard troops will just fall no matter what.

Ex #2: I had a character who was invisible. His invisibility cost 1 point. In
order to see him you had to have a *reason* to see him, *and* you had to make a
skill roll against him to succeed.  Were I a truly mean and nasty player I
could've had an invisible army for very few extra points.

Ex #3: Time duration is really cheap. Casting a spell with a duration of 2 (we
figured) would probably last the entire length of the game. I think Neil cast
some improvements on his undead warriors with a duration of 3 or so on the
very first turn of the game. I don't think they decreased even once by the end
of the game.

Ex #4; There's no MP limits. You could theoretically have 1 character for your
team, who had all the 450 (or whatever) points of your army, who could
essentially have unlimited range, and severely ridiculous damage. Not to
mention the whole "bringing enemies back from the dead to serve you" thing.

Anyway, some examples on how the magic rules are broken. They could probably be
fixed with some extra CP cost and some limitations, but the rules really need
to be better for this kind of thing...

DaveE