Re: I can't hear you ........
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:29:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:
[1] In that game, the field started with probably close to 150-200 minifigs.
After the first 3 turns, it became (painfully) clear that the game would
eventually come down to a showdown between three different, ultra-powerful
magic users, and that the rest of the troops could have no impact on the
outcome whatsoever.  Any *one* of those three would have been enough to wipe
out all other forces on the board, given enough turns to get within range of
them ... in actuality, even Gandalf should have to run from a horde of Orcs, I
say.

My first reaction was to say "No he wouldn't!". Then I thought for a bit...
the name Moria sprang to mind. Sure enough, running from a horde there. But
only for the safety of the group and the ring. Just before the exit, he
turns and stands down a Balrog. And a Balrog would be a perfect example of
an ultra-powerful character that could wipe all other forces off the board,
given enough turns to get within range of them.

Other than that episode, Gandalf doesn't actually seem to do much, he's got
the "hidden majesty" gig down pat. Not really a classic case of ultra
individual, but he's a good guy. I guess the whole point of having power is
not using it.

The whole "one many against an army" thing isn't just for magic users
though. We watch plenty of movies where the "good guy" evades, incapacitates
or just plain kills guard after soldier after grunt as they plant a bomb and
shut down the "bad guy's" plan for world domination. "Licenced to kill" ring
any bells? Admittedly it's harder to create superpowered heros in Brickwars,
given the rules are a bit tighter there, but the three stupendous feats
thingy (if used properly) have the same effect. And after all, that's a good
thing. Playing with Lego and having a battle should be more like a story
than a game of fancy chess. And if it's a story, a couple of lead characters
who are (except for drastic plot purposes) invincible makes sense. Add
hordes of grunts to be sacrificed in the name of entertainment, the odd
nifty event (shooting a cloaked death sloop, sending it plowing into the
enemy's HQ, starting a bushfire which wipes out the reinforcements over the
other side of the hill, or a titanic battle between Wizard and Daemonic
Creature, are examples that spring to mind) and a cobbled together plot and
you've got hours of fun.

Don't get me wrong here, I like realism, but somehow it goes astray when
messing with 2inch high fat-bodied figs wearing permanent grins. Perhaps
I've got the wrong end of the Brickwars schtick or maybe realism is your
thing, fair enough. Super powered characters aren't a bad thing though, as
long as (as Shaun pointed out) there are limits. The fun is in deciding
where those limits are.

Your "convienent measure" may vary.

James (who likes large doses of silliness in his Brickwars)