Re: I can't hear you ........
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:52:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Wayne McCaul writes:
Alrighty then,

I got a question. Why do you guys exclude magic from your BrikWar games? Is
it too powerful? I understand that the suppliments are broken (?) but I
think someone said that you could construct magic from the basic rules (I
haven't checked however).

Well, it turns out that the current system for incorporating magic is somewhat
broken (I guess Mike's not a god after all, seem that gods usually get it right
on the first try.  Unless you're talking the Greek/Roman Pantheon, I suppose.
Or modern society.  Oh, whatever, and never mind all that).  The costs,
damages, and ranges are such that completely unbalancing characters can be
devised, relative to the price one has to pay to use them.

The basic rules are designed to be a flexible and robust framework.  Given the
SP rules, one could create any type of spell they wanted, and individualize
their magic-using character to reflect their vision of them.  So yes, you can
construct magic as you see fit, but in practice the system has some
loopholes/shortcomings that seriously lopsided the fantasy-game we played [1].

We've been patiently awaiting a reworking of the SP rules, but I have it on
good authority that other projects, such as the entire tome of Brikwars 2k+1
and sleep, take precedence.  Pshaw.

Anyway, the short answer is that I don't think any of us are fundamentally
opposed to having magic in our games, and many of us look forward anxiously to
such a time as it becomes available in a healtier version.  In the meantime,
though, we've been making do without.

-s

[1] In that game, the field started with probably close to 150-200 minifigs.
After the first 3 turns, it became (painfully) clear that the game would
eventually come down to a showdown between three different, ultra-powerful
magic users, and that the rest of the troops could have no impact on the
outcome whatsoever.  Any *one* of those three would have been enough to wipe
out all other forces on the board, given enough turns to get within range of
them ... in actuality, even Gandalf should have to run from a horde of Orcs, I
say.