Re: train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 00:27:18 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, John Neal writes:

I understand where you are coming from, Eric.  We at the GMLTC don't
display any stock stuff at all, either.  But I think that we (TLC and LTCs)
are in this thing together, if not officially.  And I won't be surprised
if TLC decides to take an active role in supporting LTCs in the future.

Me either. They already have stepped up efforts in this area. Just ask any
of the groups that have gotten support lately.

I like your idea of having a box of current train sets handy when the
inevitable questions come about what is available, etc.  Perhaps even
having the sets assembled to further illuminate would be nice (but have
them "behind the curtain" until needed).  I could easily see doing that
much.

It would be great if TLC had something developed that massed less than the
S@H catalog that was targeted to the train audience and that could be handed
out.

We have to keep reminding ourselves that the current offerings are
*entry level* sets aimed at younger kids.  Calling them "junk" is
missing that point.  Even if TLC releases DCC, new track, etc tomorrow,
they *still* will need sets which cater to neophytes.

Indeed. And if that handout showed the progression in range from the entry
level stuff to the more advanced, so much the better.

Michlug will be, I think, displaying a 4561 box and my bullet train, which
is a transitional model. It's built with mostly 4561 parts... it's not as
sophisticated or realistic as say, James's Cascade, but it shows a
progression and what adding just a few parts to (two) 4561(s) can accomplish.

++Lar