 Organizations / United States / NCLUG / 171
Re: GATS Show in Raleigh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:09:38 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Frank Filz writes:
Mike Walsh wrote:
Such as who is interested in doing this (hopefully all!) and who thinks
there is a possibility that it could be worked into their schedule (all?)
[Perhaps a mini rollcall answer to this ?]

This is a good idea.  I have it blocked off on my calendar and since I
signed up with GATS, I consider myself committed.

I don't have a calender, but I'm committed.

I'm interested. I guess I should block it off in my calendar. Of course
should it happen to conflict with Brickfest, I might have to bail out,
but I think if anything, Brickfest will be earlier next year.
After reviewing reports from other Train shows, is 20' x 20' as Mike
suggested what we will aim for or are there other suggestions?  Should • there
be a tenative blueprint drawn up before deciding?

Yes.  The NELUG folks had a good plan where they partitioned their layout
off electronically assigning individuals sections.  Based on reading their
reports, it worked well.  Unless someone sees a problem with that, I think
we should do something similar.

I haven't read their reports yet, I need to do that.

Timetable for building tables?
Planning meeting? or email list for discussing stuff? or just discuss via
lugnet.org.us.nclug?
June seems far away now, but as hard as it has been/is to coordinate to • meet
I think it doesn't hurt  to start rolling  around ideas now.

We need to get going on this and I am the one who has dropped the ball.  I
need to touch base with my friend Chris Suich who (a) has a suitable shop,
(b) has a son who is into LEGO trains, (c) has offered the use of his shop,
and (d) has expressed interest in participating in the show.  I will say one
thing with respect to tables though - I really dislike the display boxes
that the Florida group uses and have no intention of building anything like
that.

I don't like the GFLTC boxes either. If we need a shield along the
front, I think a Plexiglas shield screwed to the front of the layout
would be sufficient, and would not block sight too badly, and wouldn't
limit how the space is used (much). While a shop will certainly speed
construction, the tables are also sufficiently simple as to not need all
the accouterments of a shop.

I've built three tables, and they're all of different heights.  And one
wobbles.  I would rather do it all together.

The main thing is having some space to
work, and having some power tools. I built a train table for my
apartment several years ago using mostly a chop saw, and a few hand
tools. The backboards for the bookcases which held it up took a visit to
my friend's father-in-law's to use the table saw, and there might have
been some circular saw action (and a circular saw could have been used
for everything). Oh, I also used a drill. I've given some consideration
to getting a circular saw. So my feeling is that we should try to get a
weekend where most of us can make it, and hopefully that can be a
weekend where Chris is also available. Of course, a couple weekends with
different sets of people is good also (though if we build all the tables
at once, there will be some definite advantages).

The other question becomes how do we store tables. I'd love to have some
tables, but have no place to store them (though I've also got some
thoughts on how to use tables in my current set up, of course once
buried under piles of LEGO they would be hard to use for shows).

I could keep some.  I would like some more anyway.  I guess we could divide
them up before hand, and pay for the tables you'll keep.

Also, I am interested in knowing how everyone feels about adding custom
labels to creations.  Are any nonLego details okay?  I prefer that each
individual have this option.  I have no problem with the group deciding
otherwise as long as everyone is told this upfront before building • something
special for the show.  Any suggestions about what would complement what
others already have for the show  would be nice too.  Diversity is good,
chaos isn't.

I have no issue with non-LEGO decals.  I will be looking for some Santa Fe
decals myself soon (if I can get my Santa Fe train project going).

I think each person's models are going to be individual. While I haven't
mixed any non-LEGO parts, I'm not absolutely opposed either.
Decals/stickers are definitely acceptable (though I personally will be
avoiding them as much as possible). I'm not sure what kind of non-LEGO
details Sheree is talking about, but I can see certain things which
would definitely be ok, and wouldn't balk at anything which doesn't
overwhelmingly change the essence of the models being built with a
limited selection of bricks.

Frank