 Organizations / United States / NCLUG / 138
Re: GATS Show in Raleigh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:12:27 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nclug, Frank Filz writes:
Mike Walsh wrote:
Yesterday I received the information package for exhibitor from GATS.  I
want to try and get it submitted pretty quickly so we need to make some
decisions on layout size.  For the purposes of discussions, I propose we
size a layout in terms of PNLTC modulues.  Since we are planning to build
some modules soon and I still believe PNLTC is the right way to go, once we
determine how many modules we want then we can convert that into an actual
layout size.

It is probably worth looking at some of the reports on shows from other
groups. I recently read the NALUG one, and it sounds like they felt they
had too small a space to be able to show very much
<snip>

Yes.  We only had 90"x120" to work with (or 9x12 baseplates), and it was
cramped, to say the least.  Hardly any space for buildings, and nowhere a
train yard could go - this meant most of our switching was "5-finger
switching", which is less fun, and less cool for crowd appeal.

It would be nice to be able to have at least two loops of track plus some
sidings and a small yard, and then space for some structures and scenery.

Either a small yard or a lot of sidings is necessary.  At our show, I'd guess
at least half the rolling stock never even made it to the table, and we've
only got *one* trainhead.  We had two loops of track, and sidings that could
accomodate about another 12 or 18 cars, and that was all we had room for.

James