 Organizations / United States / 371
  Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

Well this is for all US LUGs so I am posting in lugnet.org.us although I don't know how may people check the general US list so I am copying all the individual LUG Groups with followups to .org.us Anyway I had an Idea for a regional "LUGMAP" that (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.org.us.gmlug, lugnet.org.us.lugola, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.org.us.wafol) !

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

Eric, Thet's too wild, I was just thinking of making such a map myself. I had started getting the graphics together this weekend, thanks for saving me a lot of work. It would be cool if a way could be found to represent the overlapping of the LTCs (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

How about rendering the train groups with hash marks in different directions? Then they could overlap however many other groups they need to. Adrian (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) I agree. Most maps usually use striped or checked sections to denote overlap but at least for me that is much harder to maintain. What I though was that I would just have large links to each "sister" map right at the top of the page so people (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) Sounds like a good idea. Some additional thoughts: - Some of the LUGs are also effectively LTCs, so they should appear on both maps. - It might be a good idea to put black dots which show where concentrations of members are (for example, NCLUG (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) Definitly, NCLUG was definitly on the list for the LTC map as well as WAMALUG more than likely. I will probably try a few versions of the maps. One that combines the two groups as well as one for each type of group and let the voting public (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) re: WAFOL -- I'm not sure if we WAFOLites have decided whether we're strictly Wasatch area (basically northern Utah) or if anyone inside or outside the state is welcome (which, really, they are :-)... I guess I'm WAFOLing. :-P (...) If there (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) Well assuming this all works out each group will have to specify what there regional preferance is (If I have it wrong) so that I can fix the map. (...) Well I don't think there will be a vote. Either Todd will decide it is worth hosting on (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) ...I like! Tho I would draw all the LUGs as circles around their central meeting place vice by state like that. We have members in WAMALUG who come down from Philly, and its actually farther to come to DC/WAMALUG from Roanoke Va than it is for (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) We'd be more than happy, Eric! Just talked to Suzanne and she said Yup that's one of the things we talked about doing long ago (before there were any LUGs at all) so now that the map is starting to fill up, now's a great time to do it! :-) (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) Well I think all the groups "bleed" to a certain extent across actual state boundrys and I think I would include that in any page that gets put up. For example if a LUG were to start in the New York City area I would think that many of the (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) Great! (...) Well the "app" I used for this is about as unsophisticated as you can get. I do have some better "apps" that I can use to see how sophisticated I can make this. Anyway I will play around with it some more tonight to see what I can (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

Eric, Your map looks good! I'm not sure if the mapping things by state borders is the best way to do things for some of the clubs. About 90% of WAMALUG members live withing the DC-Baltimore Area of Dominant Influence shown here. (URL) for the large (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) GIS would be incredibly cool, though not everyone has a GIS viewer installed on their machine. Could your tools do HTML output? Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) Excellent idea. I've received those same requests myself. (...) than that. I won't go so far as to say split the state in half, but I know that LUGOLA covers more territory than this and I'd assume that BAYLUG does as well. Considering the San (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)

(...) I can output in the maps in jpeg or eps (other formats also but those two work the best). If this ever gets off the the ground there are free java-based gis programs that run over the web(i think jshape is the name of one). -Chris (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.org.us)