 Organizations / United States / 382
Re: Idea for ALL US LUGs (Big Regional Map)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 17:53:32 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote:

So anyway here is a little map that I threw together.  I made a general guess
as to the regions covered by each LUG so this should be looked on more as an
idea than something that has been made public.

http://www.nelug.org/images/uslugmap.gif

...I like! Tho I would draw all the LUGs as circles around their central
meeting place vice by state like that. We have members in WAMALUG who come
down from Philly, and its actually farther to come to DC/WAMALUG from Roanoke
Va than it is for anyone there just to go to NCLUG's meetings... Actually,
come to think of it, circles isn't exactly perfect either, since really its
driving time that makes the difference as to whether someone would come to a
meeting at a given place...

Well I think all the groups "bleed" to a certain extent across actual state
boundrys and I think I would include that in any page that gets put up.  For
example if a LUG were to start in the New York City area I would think that
many of the current NELUG members from Connecticut would probably move to the
NYC group as a matter of convinence.  This would cause an overlap in our
"territories" (I hate that word by the way, its to possessive for my tastes).
With the overlap there would be "Bleeding" both ways just like with some
Virginia folks being caught between WAMALUG and NCLUG.

...But if I had to define a 'region' to draw from for WAMALUG, it would be a
rough oval that stretches up to Philly and down to Norfolk... Much taller than
wide. (roughly along the i95 corridor).

Well I can definitly add south easter Pennsilvania to the WAMALUG area.  I
would like to keep things withing state boundries as much as possible for
maintenance purposes but just include a disclaimer about how the regions are
not hard and fast and that many groups "bleed" significantly into other
regions.

...Perhaps each group should specify a 'center' of where they normally meet,
and a rough boundary of where their farthest members come in from. This would
give us a better picture of what's going on now and would prolly better guide
new members to the real nearest lug/ltc.

Again I have a slight reservation about this but if more people keep requesting
it I will add it in.  For many groups like NELUG, WAMALUG, BayLUG etc. there
will only be one "center" where for groups like GMLUG and DixieLUG there could
be many.  Again this would have to be something specified by the regional
group.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/