 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 99
Re: Is Sumo in or out? Please make it "in"!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 01:00:51 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
Be it in a
mall, or in a park, or at the Ontario Science Centre.  Just posting a
bulletin a couple weeks ahead in the area will both draw more entries, and
lots of spectators.  Think about it!

If the competitions we do in Toronto ever went that public, I think that I'd
politely decline attending future events... :-/

(*far* too much pressure in an atmosphere like that - sucks the fun right
out of it)

    Iain

WOW, this is something i never thought about.  how many other would not
want to participate in a more public event??

what is our focus? (no really)  :)  are we aiming for a HUGE pay per
view "battle bots" type show, or will we remain a small gathering of
friend who come together to share ideas?

--
Chris
Lego Walker now @

I didn't think there was any pressure really at the competition on Saturday,
though some of the other contestants might have felt otherwise. (1)  It was
very fun, especially *because* there was so large a crowd cheering the
robots on.  Remember, it's not really you who's doing the competing, but the
robots.  The focus of everyone in the place is on the table, watching the
plastic bricks moving around doing their thing.  Afterwards, the winner was
awarded a prize, and so would get some attention, but that was pretty quick,
as the next event started right away.  Certainly no speeches were made, and
I don't think anyone would have wanted to hear them.  I would have to say
that the event was actually much MORE fun because it was out in public.

--
  David Schilling

(1) In fact, the only person I saw who was nervous in the least was the
organizer, who before the event was worried that no one would show up!