 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 96
95  |  97
Subject:
Is Sumo in or out? Please make it "in"!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 05:57:01 GMT

I'm wondering what the status is with what events will be held at the
February competion?  I know that there's been some discussion on cancelling
the Sumo event, but unless you can come up with something equally simple
both to explain and build for a first timer, something that takes minimal
programming effort, I would suggest that you always have a Sumo event.  You
can add other events as desired, but the Sumo one is too obvious a choice
for new comers.

There was a competition here in Seattle this weekend.  (See
http://www.workshop3d.com/rcx/)  There were three events: Line Tracking,
Sumo, and Puck Gathering.  The line tracking and sumo events are much
simpler events to create robots for than the puck gathering one.  While both
building and programming are obviously required for all robots, the line
tracking focuses on needing good programming ability to win.  The sumo, on
the otherhand, basically requires sound building.  There were a lot of
enties for both categories, and only two for the puck gathering event.  This
makes sense if you think about it.

The point I'm making is that the simpler challenges encouraged a lot of
people to create robots for these two categories.  An event that is too
complex won't draw a large number of entries.  Especially one that requires
special objects used in the competition.  It is essential that contestants
have access to these objects while designing their robots.  You cannot build
a robot without them.

The block stacking event is a wonderful example of a special object that is
*NOT* A PROBLEM!  Anyone can make one.  Or as many as they need.  But, for
instance, in the puck gathering event this weekend, the pucks were hard to
come by.  They were identical in shape to the ones in the RoboSports set,
but who wants to shell out $40 for a pair of these? (1)  In addition, this
event is a tremendously advanced building challenge, and can be involve
complex programming too, depending on your design.  It is no wonder it drew
few entries.

Someone who has never built a robot before could be easily convinced to try
their hand at sumo.  It is naturally drawing: two robots, pitted against
each other.  The crowds loved it, and the robot antics while interacting
with each other was great for this.  (Line tracking, OTOH, is a solo event,
and people cheered for a quick time, but nothing like the roars that came
from the crowd when interesting things happened on the field during the sumo
event.)

To encourage even more entries (to level the playing field a bit), having
several sub-categories might be a good idea.  There were several at the
Seattle event.  "Normal LEGO" with a (too small, in my opinion) weight
limit, "Lego+" which allowed higher weight, and non-LEGO elements.  And
there was even an age categorization which wasn't used, but would probably
have been had there been a lot more children who brought robots.

One last comment in favour of Sumo robots - I don't think that the
challenge, even for expert builders, has been anywhere near exhaused yet.
90+% of the sumo robots I've seen built show only defensive actions, their
only offensive move being pushing.  I can imagine a lot of offensive tactics
that I've never seen used.  Think about an "advanced" or "master"
sub-category for people who have already participated in at least one other
Sumo event, and will build robots that do more than just try to push the
other guy!

Finally, the Seattle event was held at the Pacific Science Center here.  It
drew HUGE crowds!  I was really surprised at the number of people that
showed up.  And they *loved* it!  I would suggest you consider a much more
public place for your robot competitions after this next one.  Be it in a
mall, or in a park, or at the Ontario Science Centre.  Just posting a
bulletin a couple weeks ahead in the area will both draw more entries, and
lots of spectators.  Think about it!

--
  David Schilling

(1)   Fortunately the person running the show was kind enough to send a
handful to me to try to build a robot for that event.  (The pucks themselves
are, after all, cheap.)  Unfortunately I couldn't complete my robot, and so
will have to wait for the next event to see how well I would have done.