 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 104
Re: Is Sumo in or out? Please make it "in"!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:39:24 GMT

There was a competition here in Seattle this weekend.  (See
http://www.workshop3d.com/rcx/)  There were three events: Line Tracking,
Sumo, and Puck Gathering.  The line tracking and sumo events are much
simpler events to create robots for than the puck gathering one.  While both
building and programming are obviously required for all robots, the line
tracking focuses on needing good programming ability to win.  The sumo, on
the otherhand, basically requires sound building.  There were a lot of
enties for both categories, and only two for the puck gathering event.  This
makes sense if you think about it.

I like the many ideas thrown around here.  The line tracking idea is very
appealing to me.  Trying to get a 'bot to follow a zigzag line as quick as
possible is challenging.  The issues:  how big can you make the 'bot and if
you can only use parts from one Mindstorms kit.  The second point is for
those that have more than 1 light sensor.  Having the limit at just one
sensor is definitly more challenging than having 2 straddling the line.  As
well, having a wall at the end of the line, so when the 'bot hits the wall,
the 'bot has to turn around and follow the line back to the start, now
there's a challenge.
K, here's what I'll do:
I'll arrange to get the planks of white boards, about 1 foot wide, and black
electrical tape to the next competition.
That is, if people are interested in this competition.
Take care
Dave