 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 100
Re: Is Sumo in or out? Please make it "in"!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 03:28:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
If the competitions we do in Toronto ever went that public, I think that I'd
politely decline attending future events... :-/
(*far* too much pressure in an atmosphere like that - sucks the fun right
out of it)
WOW, this is something i never thought about.  how many other would not
want to participate in a more public event??

what is our focus? (no really)  :)  are we aiming for a HUGE pay per
view "battle bots" type show, or will we remain a small gathering of
friend who come together to share ideas?

You know, I'd rather it stay reasonably small at around 100 people or less.
The largest we've had is 70+ and that's already a litle large.  I like it
when people can go up to Jin or Rob and ask them how their robot works, and
that those folks can answer and chat without feeling a pressure to be "on"
and live in a competition.

But that said, I also liked being at Guelph where we must have seen 500-700
people in the course of a few hours.  It was a more mainstream, fun event,
but with much less technical challenge involved.  I like talking to audience
about our robot, I like

You know, if I didn't have to run it, I'd be all for corporate sponsorship
(imagine giant Nortel Networks logo on side of kbot 9042 :)  and the
competitive nature of it.

But if it ever scaled that large, there would require a lot of PR, project
management and organization I don't think we're capable of.  But if we let
it go to a host organization, you'd never know what motives they'd put
behind it or what messages they'd use in promoting it and selling it.

That's why I've never been a fan of turning it into something more than what
it is now:  Like a parent, you tend to get scared as to what will corrupt
your offspring.

Calum