 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9760
Re: OT: Anyone know how the Phaeton W12 engine works?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:20:13 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
Well.  That comes back to the question of "needing" a tachometer.

I've noticed that like almost automatics have tachometers.  Neither of the cars
I've owned had/have a tach, and both had/do have a manually actuated gearbox.

I think that's funny.  Not that you ever rely on a tachometer to tell you when
to shift anyway.

What if, on something like the Phaeton, which, in the words of the reviewer, has
"vault like silence", you don't get that vibration or noise cues?  Hence, you
might need to use the tach.

Calum

Actually, that's a good point.  A lot of cars nowadays are so quiet at idle,
that you really need to check the tach to make sure that the engine IS running.
And not accidentally try to start a running engine - the sound of grinding gears
is very unpleasant (or so I'm told).  I believe some expensive cars have a
safety switch built in - so if the engine is running, turning the key to the
"start" position will do nothing - to avoid said gear grinding.

Speaking of W engines, Volkswagen has the W8 in the Passat, and W12 in the
Phaeton luxury sedan. Like Rob said, the W12 is 2 VR6 engines sharing a common
crankshaft.  So the engine is wider than a V8, but much shorter.
The VW folks have chosen to call this layout "W".  More info:

<http://www.tirekick.com/may02/W8PASSAT.htm>

<http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/engine/tech_engine_packaging.htm>

I'll have some sort of model of the W engine at the Hobby Show this weekend.

John