 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8517
Re: New York's Mayor....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 03:29:04 GMT

I think that I got it for 74.95US becaue I preordered--have to verify.

     They still have it listed for that price, so yeah, you probably did.
However, to get free shipping, you have to be willing to wait another 3-5 days
for delivery, so I doubt I would have saved any money on that deal, and I
wouldn't have gotten any Replay points from Sam Goody.

It was more for convenience than saving money.  "Oh look, B5 in my mailbox!
Sweet!"

     Huh.  I always found it more convenient to be able to swing by a local
store (since I'm doing regular toy runs anyways) and buy it in person, on my own
schedule.  Anyways, I had a situation that became much more convenient because I
didn't mail-order it.  My fourth disc was corrupted.  It wouldn't load up
Interludes & Examinations at all (regular audio or commentary), and War Without
End.1 stuttered to a standstill within 3 seconds.  I went in, swapped #4 discs,
listened to the obligatory "You know, you should be cleaning the lens every ten
hours of regular play," dismissed it with the far less common, "But my owners
manual said I should avoid cleaning it unless absolutely necessary" (which _is_
actually what it said), and when I got home the replacement worked fine.
Moreover, since the person who rang up my sale on Tuesday forgot to ask me for
my Replay card, they scanned it in on the "exchange" (we pretended to swap
entire boxed sets, but I specifically asked for only the #4 disc, since I knew
the first three were perfectly fine), and I got the Triple Points that I'd been
set to miss out on the first time around.  Bonus for me.

Totally agreed.  I taped B5 when it originally aired on TV and still have all
the VHS from season 1 thru 5.

     I wished I'd taped them, but I was in college, I didn't have guaranteed
access to a VCR, and often I didn't have money for VHS tapes.  I still haven't
seen one episode from B5.4, due to the horky bobbling of the rerun situation the
instant the last episode of season 4 finished airing (I believe it had something
to do with Ivanova starting to call the First Ones into the battle, but it's
definitely not the Sigma 597 ep from season 3).

My thing is I wish egos didnt' get involved and that Claudia wouldve been
back for season 5.

     My understanding from the time season 5 was airing was that her contract
arrived late on the day before it was due back, she couldn't talk to her agent
and didn't want to sign it until she could do so, and she ended up delaying too
long and missed the deadline.  I haven't heard any concrete descriptions to the
contrary, but I do remember JMS hinting at some previously unmentioned problem
in the B5.1 or B5.2 commentary, but he didn't go into specifics, and what he did
mention contradicted his previous statements from the beginning of season 5.  I
also remember Claudia griping that it was done deliberately to force her out of
the show, but JMS flatly refuted this in online discussions, and her view of the
situation was hardly objective at the time (and note that she returned well
after season 5 wrapped to do a commentary for B5.2 without any evidence of
acrimony).  Without anything further to convince me, I choose to believe the
"unfortunate happenstance" explanation.  Call me naive, but everyone did such
great work on that series, and enjoyed working on it so much that I fail to see
how one of the primaries could have been bumped out due to something as dumb as
contractual scuffling.  But yeah, Ivanova was quite possibly the coolest
character from the series.  She had the perfect mix of Russian fatalism,
chutzpah, twistedly dark humor, and just enough instances of getting flustered
to keep her believable as a human being.  And she wasn't hard on the eyes
either, regardless of the fact that she never pranced about in a catsuit and
high heels (I just realized that DS9 was the only Trek sequel that never caved
in and relied on a main character who always wears catsuits to draw in a larger
audience in lieu of using the potential strength of serial storytelling).

That, for me, is the only problem with the series as a whole.  Susan
Ivanova... wow!  Tracey Scoggins was great, mind you, but I just missed
Claudia.

     Scoggins would have been okay as a tertiary/few-timer character, but I
can't see anyone being able to step into the mega-butt-kicking shoes of Ivanova.
However, that wasn't my only problem.  I hated Na'Toth from season 2 (the
replacement actress played her far too timidly) and the fact that we didn't see
anything near enough of the real Na'Toth.  I hated how rabid Trekkies succeeded
in badgered JMS into getting rid of n'grath "because insects don't have eight
legs".  I hated that we lost Marcus to save Ivanova...only to lose her right
afterwards just as effectively as if she'd died (though I can't argue that it
was the wholly appropriate for his character).

He mentioned that in the voice over...  As well, Lurkers Guide, I think, has
that info.  I was a definite lurker on that site every week when the show was
on.  So much great info!

     Agreed.  I also kinda think Ivanova's "Who am I" speech from the end of
season 4 is cooler sounding than Delenn's "You are before me" speech, but hers
is infinitely more suited to being rattled off as a quote (about 1/3rd the
length, I think), which explains a lot of why it's the most memorable one.

The whole series (and TNT movies) were awesome.

     I still haven't seen all of those either *grumble*.  I know I've seen the
premiere and ITB.  I think I've seen Thirdspace, but I don't think I've seen
ARoS or ACtA, and I know I haven't seen TLotR (huh, weird how close that is to
LotR, especially considering how Marcus has been called something of a salute to
Strider).

looking at it now, it's still great!

     Like Star Wars before it, I think it will continue to hold up very well
over time.

I just wished that Excalibur 'went the distance', but alas...

     Um, you mean Crusade?  Never saw that either.  Tiny little problem with not
having regular access to cable right around the end of season 5.  I was able to
finagle a way to see the last few episodes of season 5 after leaving college
(and college-funded cable access), but that was pretty much it.