 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8498
Re: New York's Mayor....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:46:35 GMT

Chris Magno wrote:

When the 27% tax was imposed it had a short term effect on the price of canadian
lumber in the US and people bought american. THEN the Canadian lumber mills laid
off a lot of staff, AND still figured out a way to reduce cost by that same 27%.
ergo the lumber was still cheaper and market forces had people buying Canadian
lumber again.  OH, and when the dust settles and the 27% tariff is removed we will
still be 27% more efficient.

Except that lumber is carp these days. I just got back from 3 weeks of
building a house, and over 3/4 of the lumber we had was badly twisted or
warped in at least 1 of 3 dimensions, usually more. I don't think this
degree of twistiness is normal.