 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8505
Re: New York's Mayor....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:17:14 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Aaron Sneary wrote:
This morning on the news I heard NYC's Mayor (I cannot spell his name) say that
the blackout likely occurred somewhere in Canada. A song popped into my head:
"Blame Canada! Blame Canada!"

Take care of yourselves. But don't rig candles to the RCS's.

Aaron Sneary

The mayor isn't alone. I read in one story that a certain NY senator also blames
Canada. Aren't American politician's wonderful? Of course Canadians sometimes
point fingers before any facts are known as well.

-------
CROSS-BORDER FINGER-POINTING
The outage, because it began along the Canadian border, produced early
finger-pointing between the two countries. Canadian officials initially said the
cause was a lightning strike on a power facility on the American side of Niagara
Falls; they later said the cause was a fire. But U.S. officials disputed the
lightning explanation and pointed north.

"Our best understanding right now is that whatever did happen to start these
cascading outages began in Canada," said Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y.
-------

Later stories seem to indicate it may have started in Ohio, but they're still
not sure.

--
  David Schilling