 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7900
Re: DCC party? Was DCC and Boosting...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:58:56 GMT

Are we going DCC for NMRA?

I'm willing to convert two of my train motors to DCC if we are going to
do DCC for NMRA.  I will however need help making the conversion.  I've
done a little soldering but I'm not super comfortable with electronics.
Assistance would be appreciated.

We should also design a building for the the DCC RCX to hide in.
Something that hides the RCX but allows the IR port to be visible from
around the layout.  A small tower in one corner could work.

<snip>

Derek

K, tested the new firmware of Marks in 2 RCX's--one 'master', one 'slave'.  Used
the lamp bricks as the resistor as well.  Works mighty impressive.  My problem
is I only have 1 AC RCX right now so the slave was running off of batteries.  I
can see how something like this would kill the batteries fast.

Also made the wired controller.  Works flawlessly.  All is good here.

The only thing I found out is that in the instructions it says to connect the
signal 'sensor input' from the primary track to port 3 of the RCX.  It's port 1
for me.

Beyond that, the slave RCX's could basically be anywhere on the layout, but
probably should be near the actual separation between the different zones--I
used 2 track pickups--one from the master zone to the sensor input, and the
other for power to the secondary zone.

The teethered throttles-I used the extralong wire that comes with (I think) the
Exploratin Mars Mindstorms set and the throttle reaches pretty far--at least
across 3 modules easily--depends on where we put the master RCX.  Probably could
use some mindstorms long wires and put the ends on the sensor input and put the
other ends around the outer edge of the layout so we could plug a throttle in
almost anywhere.

Oooh, the ideas!

Thanks again to Mark for this wonderful stuff!  Can't wait to see it 'live' at
the show on the full layout!

As I see it, we'll need at least 4 AC RCX's:

Master zone (whichever loop we want to designate)
2 secondary zones (other 2 loops)
1 to program the motors whilst at the show--don't want to take all engines off
one loop to change an engine number.

Actually, I could incorporate a small section of track right in the train yard
for just such a thing--have the 4th RCX wired directly to a length of track
that's isolated from the rest of the layout.

I'm on it!

As for the remote switches and stuff that Mark has incorporated into the latest
version, I personally don't have time to delve into that aspect, but if someone
wants to operate remote lights/motors from the LDCC, by all means--that'll just
be one more RCX connected to the layout :)

Dave K