 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6986
Re: Brickfest Pipe Racers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 18:32:51 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:

I'm really excited to see what people come up with for this, I'm assuming
everyone has their own ideas and this is one of those contests that (at
least, to me) seems like it has a lot of different ways of aproaching it.

One thing I would coment on is that if you are concerned about battery box
entries, that suggests you'd like to see some form of intelligence required
in the robot;  that would then suggest that simply driving along is not what
you'd like to see, and if that's the case, that means you are suggesting
that the robots will have to reconfigure themselves to navigate curves?

I would think that through good mechanical design a robot that simply drives
forward with a battery box would have no problems navigating a 90 degree
sharp bend even.

Yeah, that wasmy guess was that because of the 90 deg turn, a robot would
require intelligence to reconfig itself.    If it can be done mechanically I
suppose that would be really cool but hard.

One of ideas posed was dealing with Ys.  Another was to do a task somewhere
on the path that requires intelligence.  This is why I'm asking--what would
we do that requires more than just a battery box design.

Calum

If we painted rings around the pipe before the junction--2 black stripes
mean take left junction, 1 ring means take right junction...

There's your code, your sensors, and your maze.

Dave K