 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4301
Re: rtlToronto 11
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:50:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, James Powell writes:

<snip>

I'd suggest a high contrast tape around the edge-or a high contrast (white)
table topping material.  I've been trying on a low contrast material (a red
tablecloth), and had problems with robot driving off edge

A tablecloth or any other type of covering is going to cause problems with
bots not getting traction, etc., a hard surface is preferable. As far as
edge detection goes, I have been working on a purely mechanical sensor with
excellent results.

I'd also suggest that this be held low to the ground, at 1" or so (the tables
being put on the floor).  The chasm is infinitely deep though, as far as
robots are concerned-if you fall off your bridging device, too bad.

<snip>

Aww.. I was looking forward to the faces full of horror as each
participant's bot approached an edge of a table that is more or less 75 cm
off the floor!