 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4300
Re: rtlToronto 11
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 15:49:43 GMT

If there are going to be two events, "dragsters", and "capture the flag",
then let the dragster event be considered the easy one, similar to "sumo" in
previous years.

For the capture the flag event I propose the following:

- playfield is two tables, same height, no walls
-I'd suggest a high contrast tape around the edge-or a high contrast (white)
table topping material.  I've been trying on a low contrast material (a red
tablecloth), and had problems with robot driving off edge

I'd also suggest that this be held low to the ground, at 1" or so (the tables
being put on the floor).  The chasm is infinitely deep though, as far as robots
are concerned-if you fall off your bridging device, too bad.

- two bots start on one table, one flag is placed on the other table
(preset locations for all)
- maximum 30 X 30 X 30 cm bot size at start
- bot size can increase after start
- 45 cm gap (let's not get too crazy here, it is a race, and you still have
to find and raise the flag after crossing the gap)
- no stipulation on number of RCX's, motors, sensors, etc.
- bot and bridge must be as one, no separating parts, bridges, or decoy
flags left behind
- first bot to find and raise flag wins

I think these rules are challenging enough to keep it interesting for the
regulars, but keep in mind, it would be good to keep the game simple enough
so that a newcomer like myself can actually build and program a competitive
bot.

I think that they are too chalenging...I'd say:
-1 robot at a time
-1.41x cube size=gap size
(IE, bridge must be folding bridge)
-bridge can be abandoned after crossing
-must cross, find flag, take to predesignated end point (square on far side
-randomized start point for both flag and robot, same distance between them for
all trials

Making the bridge is the fun part :)  I've got a sort of working mock up of a
bridge layer, but haven't gotten to a 2 part bridge yet.  (just trying to lay
the bridge down)-unfortunately, I will be at sea by the time RTL11 comes up :(
-not to mention living on the other side of the country.

James P