 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4297
Re: Train Storage Carousel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 05:26:24 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek writes:
http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/temp/carousel2.jpg

I'm the guy who always says "there's a prototype for everything  'trainish'
if you just look hard enough" but I think in this case I am not going to say
that. :-) I looked, fairly hard, but have not found one... yet.

The prototype for the great train storage machine is actually a rotary
launcher for the AGM-86B cruise missiles that fit in the bomb bay of a B-52
bomber:

http://fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/agm-86c-dvic395.jpg

Except the bombs don't rotate relative to the carousel (at least as far as I
can see).

I don't think they stay oriented either.  They have to drop out straight as
the ALCMs have expanding winglets that fold out and their flight path isn't
a drop, it flies forward after clearing the bottom of the plane.

IIRC the pylon launcher on the wings of the B-52 have them angled, but not
too far from straight down either.

Calum

Unless you find some sort of 'prototype' of train storage like that, I'd say
"Who says the train cars need to remain 'upright'?" As long as the bogies
are snapped in and sliding doors on boxcars won't fall off, use internal
magnets or clamps at the end of a car and swing those babies upside down.
It's not like the merchandise inside is going to break. It would certainly
keep your carousel diameter smaller and would be simpler to build.

Aaron Sneary