 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4223
Re: Train Storage Carousel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 04:27:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek writes:
http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/temp/carousel2.jpg

I'm the guy who always says "there's a prototype for everything  'trainish'
if you just look hard enough" but I think in this case I am not going to say
that. :-) I looked, fairly hard, but have not found one... yet.

The prototype for the great train storage machine is actually a rotary
launcher for the AGM-86B cruise missiles that fit in the bomb bay of a B-52
bomber:

http://fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/agm-86c-dvic395.jpg

Except the bombs don't rotate relative to the carousel (at least as far as I
can see).

I don't think they stay oriented either.  They have to drop out straight as
the ALCMs have expanding winglets that fold out and their flight path isn't
a drop, it flies forward after clearing the bottom of the plane.

IIRC the pylon launcher on the wings of the B-52 have them angled, but not
too far from straight down either.

Calum