 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4220
Re: Train Storage Carousel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 02:51:19 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:

The smart tower at the smart centres are simply static displays with all the
various configurations of the smart (smart & pure, etc..). It's not a
VENDING MACHINE. :)

Bummer. That would so rock if it were.

I wonder what the biggest item ever vended via a vending machine was. (I've
seen a LEGO(r) vending machine in Oz as you know, cool robot arm and all)
The idea of vending a full size car is so darn silly it is cool. Maybe
Neiman Marcus would be interested!

Interesting rtlToronto factoid:  Both Chris and I have run vending machines.

My favourite machine was one that made french fries for you-they had one at
the Etobicoke Olympium when I was a kid and it always intrigued me that a
machine could make something as complex as french fries.  It dropped a small
foam cup, then dispensed enough frozen fries into a wire basket which
lowered into a vat of hot oil, then raised it and dumped it into the cup.  I
would suspect the power consumption (to keep oil available at hot
temperature for 8+ hours of the day) and service schedule (to change oil,
filters, degreasing) probably made it expensive to run.

Later on when I worked for Bell Canada, they had these coffee machines
(which are quite common now) which lit up their insides while making you a
hot chocolate and taunted you with an imperative (YOUR BEVERAGE IS BEING
PREPARED! WATCH!) to pay attention.   Word is that soon after I left BCE,
the BTS coffee machines became pay only-when I was there they were free! :)

You know, that might make a cool rtl12 contest, sort of a noncompetition
type of thing.  Build a vending machine.  Make it sell something-candies,
rtlToronto brochures, and we could use the money to a) pay for future events
and b) donate some portion to a charity.  The winner is the one judged most
creative, complex, or amusing.

Mine will vend znap parts :)

Calum