 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4215
Re: Train Storage Carousel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 01:34:28 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek writes:
http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/temp/carousel2.jpg

I'm the guy who always says "there's a prototype for everything  'trainish'
if you just look hard enough" but I think in this case I am not going to say
that. :-) I looked, fairly hard, but have not found one... yet.

The prototype for the great train storage machine is actually a rotary
launcher for the AGM-86B cruise missiles that fit in the bomb bay of a B-52
bomber:

http://fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/agm-86c-dvic395.jpg

I agree there probably isn't a train-industry prototype for such a
device-though when Iain showed me the SMART car brochure, there is
apparently a car sized vending machine in a similar vein in Europe somewhere.

I'm not sure how the idea originally came up but I think Iain and I were
joking about some sort of unusual way to solve a train problem using
Technic-and that problem was that we always have far too much rolling stock
versus staging tracks to put them on.  Of course, Iain has the skill to
actually build such a device...

It's sort of the same type of joke as the inevitable rtlToronto Train
Solution to a Technic Problem, such as a giant train track that can drop
blocks in the Project X shape.  Most rtlToronto robotics events feature a
stupid use of a train part somewhere (I think Iain once mounted a piece of
9V curved just for fun at rtl6 on his robot) and some ingenious uses too
(Derek Raycraft used 4.5V rails for his Project X entry at rtl10)

I see Holger Matthes and other Germany enthusiasts with their 1592 jokes,
(those are really quite funny) this is sort of ours :)

Calum