 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3849
  Re: lube....

O.K. I'm going to regret this simply because I usually avoid heated debates and I should know better but.... Calum, try not to take any of this too personally. It is intended for the purposes of debate and not an attack on anyone's mind set (yours, (...) (22 years ago, 1-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube....

(...) Okay, don't worry about that. Iain and I aren't taking it too personally either. (...) Yes, it gives people an advantage, but I'm not against them because not everyone can get them. I'm against them because when you say lubricants, that could (...) (22 years ago, 1-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube....

Matthias, Your points are valid and i could not explain them better. Thank you. This topic has a few grey areas. (...) Yes, Calum I did tell you this. And for the most part it is true. Only one part was so badly worn that I would not use it in THAT (...) (22 years ago, 1-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

All this talk about Lube, got me to think...... So I decided to do a small experiment. Everyone knows that I am a fan of measuring the speed of my lego motors. i use the official lego speed counter. here is what i did and found: I took a worm to 24 (...) (22 years ago, 2-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) It doesn't prove anything, Chris. I have two objections to your "test": -Worm to 24t is a very simple gear mechanism. You know as well as I do that friction doesn't build up with only two gears. -The viscosity of the Vaseline probably causes (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

I wasn't going to reply to this thread anymore. I wasn't going to reply to this thread anymore. I wasn't going to reply to this thread anymore. "Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message news:GsEKyz.9C3@lugnet.com... (...) Why something (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) I never did this to PROVE CONCLUSIVELY one theory or another. I even stated that it was a VERY INFORMAL "test" (...) !!!!WHAT!!!!! did you really study engineering at U ot T????? AGRH!!!! you are so lucky small children MIGHT be reading cause (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) See the following post on lugnet: (URL) more directly, go to: (URL) and scroll about a third of the way down the page. I guess the speed computer has a much lower resolution (3 vs 16 ticks per revolution) but then it's doing a different job, (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube....

(...) No I don't think anyone wants to intentionally break parts. Well they might but that's their problem. :-) And I should clarify that I don't think a design that damages parts is a poor design if its getting the job done. You did a lot better (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Really to be a valid test you should put the worm to 24T under load. This is when a performance difference will show up. However it could be tricky to setup. The simplest way would be to lift a weight a fixed distance. Use string (non-lego if (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Thank you for this. WOW. 3 tick per Revolution. that's bad. what is this some kind of toy? :) Chris Pretend this says something funny (22 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Derek, you are correct. this would be a way better way. :) I am sad to say thought that this whole lube novelty has worn off. If i remember in future, i will just dab a bit on and not mention it. --GASP-- :) Chris Pretend I never said that (22 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube....

(...) you just game me a silly idea for a new lego game..... greased robots. run along the same lines as a greased pig contest. lube up a bot and we all run around and try to catch the lubed beast. :) -- Chris Pretend this says something funny (22 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

While Janey and I were discussing Lube's of one kind or another, we found this old thread. (URL) would seem I can now recall WHY I have a worm to 24t sub assembly all covered with vaseline. After almost 5 years of on and off use, this one sub (...) (17 years ago, 15-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Derek (17 years ago, 15-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Giggle, oh Derek made a funny! Janey "I'm just relieved by why I found vaseline on the Lego, Red Brick" (17 years ago, 15-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Eh-Oh!!! Family Show!! K, let's all pause for a moment and picture what Janey might be inferring... Ewwww..... Dave K (17 years ago, 15-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) See, I just dont get it; sometimes, My Sony Ericson K510a 2 meg camera will take a fantastic picture. I try to ensure a neutral background, and ample lighting. Shrug. I guess it the glass. I need better glass. Do you think Swarovski makes a (...) (17 years ago, 15-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) oh ~I~ know what she might be inferring. I think you do to Dave. You saw the vaseline(tm)(1) on the lego at the hobby show. You asked. Clearly we are all talking about the same thing. Heck - This is a shot of me explaining about the (...) (17 years ago, 15-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Don't you have graphite in Canadia? Vaseline is great for some things- but not Lego. (17 years ago, 15-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Graphite does exist. But its not the best for 2 reasons. 1. it can be VERY messy, and 2. its has been linked as a carcinogen. Chris (17 years ago, 15-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) 1. Use sparingly. 2. You're kidding, right? Carbon causes cancer? (17 years ago, 15-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Hey, it's like dihydrogen monoxide, get too much in your system and it'll kill you. --Tony (17 years ago, 15-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Which takes us right back to 1). 1) Use sparingly. Probably needs a few more warnings: For External Use Only Keep away from Fire or Flame (17 years ago, 15-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Hey, you!!! Dont try to get me in trouble!!! Giggle. Me? Infer anything? Surely you jest. And in total honesty, the night before the Hobby Show, while sitting at his building table, going over all of our moving mocs, I really truly did (most (...) (17 years ago, 16-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) The MSDS for Crown Dry Graphite says this: CARCINOGENICITY: Trichloroethylene is not listed as a human carcinogen by OSHA. It is listed by ACGIH as TLV-A5, “Not suspected as a Human Carcinogen”; by NTP as R “Reasonably Anticipated To Be A (...) (17 years ago, 16-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Dihydrogen Monoxide is a killer - its the LEADING cause of drowning, it can suffocate you, and lets not forget how this nasty chemical is in almost everything. The list is almost endless.(1) I say we BAN this nasty chemical! Chris hey hey, ho (...) (17 years ago, 16-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: lube experiment

(...) Chris, it's hard to argue with logic like that. (17 years ago, 16-Nov-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)