 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17856
Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:38:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:

PS - My robot can successfully measure the volume of a can ;)  :tease:

...and I fail.  It doesn't work in bright light.  I programmed it late at night
and it works great.  The differential between the light source at night is good
(about 10 counts).  But in the day it is too close, and it either gets false
readings or misses.  I guess since I have to scrap this, I can show you guys
what I had done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK9BMn1XNds

The robot is a gantry frame that would have driven around until a can got
through the frame.  It looks for the leading edge, then trailing edge of the
can, then moves back to the halfway point.  It then rotates 90 degrees, does the
same thing, so it's centred.  This measures the area of the base.  The light
sensor can move up and down (along with the light source on the opposite side).
So, once the can is centred (the x and y values are multipled to get the area of
the base), the sensor would move up and find the height - getting the volume.
While the sensor moves up, a frame around the outside (not finished) would have
moved down.  This "captures" the can.

As the game goes on, a "risk" slope would go along; idea being that at the
beginning of the game, the robot can afford to be picky ("who will ask me to the
prom?  I hope the quarterback of the footaball team!").  As the 3 minutes
progress, the robot will accept a lesser and lesser can to settle for squatting
on ("I guess if Ryan from the Debate Club asked me, I'd say yes").  Within the
last 30 seconds, anything would be accepted, no measuring at all.

-Iain