 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17834
Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 04:17:08 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:

it's low pile industrial, but still carpet

Oh, darn.  :)  I guess I can share now that one of my ideas was to measure the
resistance to forward motion of different cans (ie, friction) using an
arrangement with a rotation sensor and the wheels on the robot.  This would
allow me to figure out the weight of the can.  But, if the floor is carpet, this
very likely will not work.

Unrelated to carpeting; but is anyone else having a heckuva time coming up with
a design/strategy for this?!  I've got about 4 giant sheets of paper full of
sketches, but nothing concrete.  This is proving to be far more challenging than
I thought!  There are so many ways to go with this, based on different
assumptions.

-Iain

I've got a small robot that can wander around looking for metallic objects. The
tires that I have on hand which work best on the carpet I have at home are
these:

   <http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=36.8+x+14+zr>

I'm also stuck on a strategy to figure out the heaviest can. One idea was to
build a 2-side ramp platform with a see-saw balance in the middle, but a
prototype showed that design to be flawed. And maybe as likely to pick up
another robot as a can. Another idea is more brute force -- a tall platform with
a gripper in the middle. I don't know how many magnets you need to pick up 1 kg
(I only have 12 on hand), but I've noticed that when a bunch of magnets are in
swivel holders near each other, they tend to orientate themselves in an
unhelpful direction.