 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17836
Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2009 17:55:28 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Wayne Young wrote:

(I only have 12 on hand), but I've noticed that when a bunch of magnets are in
swivel holders near each other, they tend to orientate themselves in an
unhelpful direction.

I like how you worded that; I laughed out loud.  :)

I wonder if I'm not the only one who saw the original ruleset (or heard the
concept) and thought "Oh, well that's easy."  Now getting into it, I realize how
complex a challenge this one really is!

I am consistently trying to remind myself that in competitions like
blockstacking, it was alarmingly dissapointing how infrequent robots would come
across blocks while roving about.  Even though the playing feild could be
absolutely littered with them, an improperly designed "mouth" or too small a
robot would miss the majority of them.  It is a possibility that durring the 3
minute round of this competition, a robot may only encounter 1 or 2 cans!  This
may allow designs to be simplified.

I'm even thinking of just building a robot that can hold *any* can (A/B steer +
Gripper), as a safety, to fall back on if I can't come up with anything else
instead.  :)

-Iain