 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17840
Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 01:36:19 GMT

Jeff,

I think you need to repost your image, it looks like a small mammal barfed on
some paper, then a chicken came along and scratched some marks onto the dirt.

OH wait...

I see, its.. umm....

GIVE UP!!!!
you will lose.

I have a working prototype, and 2 more weeks.

Regards
Chris

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Van Winden wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Wayne Young wrote:

I've got a small robot that can wander around looking for metallic objects. The
tires that I have on hand which work best on the carpet I have at home are
these:

   <http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=36.8+x+14+zr>

I'm also stuck on a strategy to figure out the heaviest can. One idea was to
build a 2-side ramp platform with a see-saw balance in the middle, but a
prototype showed that design to be flawed. And maybe as likely to pick up
another robot as a can. Another idea is more brute force -- a tall platform with
a gripper in the middle. I don't know how many magnets you need to pick up 1 kg
(I only have 12 on hand), but I've noticed that when a bunch of magnets are in
swivel holders near each other, they tend to orientate themselves in an
unhelpful direction.

I considered the see-saw type of design as well, I have yet to build it
though...

Here is my original concept sketch...

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffvw/3179284677/sizes/l/>

I am still trying to decide on the best wheel system for my bot, any sugestions?

Jeff VW