 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16489
Re: Official scores from rtl21--Chris didn't win... again!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:25:01 GMT

On 7/31/06, David Koudys wrote:

One thing we should consider, and I think I've stated this before--we should
re-run some competitions the next time so we can improve our designs and
such--coming up with a different competition each and every time for an rtl
event is fine and all, but what I learned from this one I will not be able to
apply to building a better tug of war 'bot 'cause there won't be a next time.  I
mean, sure for monkey bars it was not a great idea to rerun it 'cause of Rob's
'bot, but this one--I think I can buld a 'bot that would beat Edwards and
John's...

Dave K

While agree the re-running some competitions is a great idea (I know
there are a few I'd like to try that I didn't the first time :) I
predict rerunning this tug-of war event would end up as follows:

All robots would:
1) be exactly 1.5 lbs.
2) grab the rope immediately to prevent loosing initial slippage of
the center mark with a mechanical lock.
3) grab the back of the table using a string attached anchor.

The only variations would be winching the anchor string or winding the
pull rope (or both).

Even though I knew I couldn't win against an anchor bot, I know I did
pretty well against those that didn't have an anchor, so came away
very satisfied.  The tie match against Ka-On was the biggest breath
holder for me.... 5 seconds earlier I would have won and five sends
later he would have won...

I liked to see the variations.  I even liked cringing every time
Tomer's bot (think it was his) intentionally plunged across the gap to
land on the far table :)

just my 2 bits.

-Rob A>