 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15902
Re: Tug of war ??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:05:48 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, James Powell wrote:

No, Chris and Calum (and RTL) will set a set of rules for RTL 21 (Tug of War)
and if _you_ want to run with the ball, I am sure they would welcome it.  It
doesn't mean that you have to have the same rules as RTL 21, just that RTL has a
set of rules for a tug of war, which then impose some restrictions on how RTL
wants to do something...I can see several stratagies to "win" the contest, and
not all of them involve a monolithic battery box robot...although that is quite
possibly one way _to_ win.

They just said they are going to come up with a set of rules for RTL 21 based on
what "they" (RTL's normal enterants) want to see...not that you could not run
with the rules if you want to make a 5x5x3" rule, with no more than 1 rcx and 2
motors...or whatever.  Just that RTL will generate contest rules for RTL 21,
regardless of if they fit what someone else thinks is good rules or not.

James Powell

I'm going to try and keep this positive (as those who know me, know me as
nothing but <smirk>).

We did discuss further restrictions.  The decision to go 10x10x10, rather than
the usual 12x12x12, was made to partially get around the
pack-in-as-many-battery-boxes-as-possible entry.  We figured that 10x10x10 was a
reasonable size to build a 'bot that could perform the task without lots of
extra room for ballast...

But I (and most of the others) don't like "artificial" restrictions that are
imposed to attempt to level the playing field...hence the minimal basic set of
standing rules for all RTLToronto games.

I know this might be seen as a disadvantage to some.  I only have one RCX, which
was my excuse for not even trying Connect-4.  I publicly whined that it wasn't
fair 'cause it couldn't be done with one RCX.  Well I was proven wrong.    But
does the fact that it _could_ be done with one RCX mean that we _should_ have
set a rule limiting it to one RCX, to even the playing field?  I think not.

But the bottom line is, it is OUR game.  _We_ can make up whatever rules are
decided on (usually with some sort of agreement amongst the interested members).
If we made a rule that person starting the 'bot had to wear a toque while doing
it, then that would be one of the rules and you had better come with a toque
ready to be donned!  If you want to come play at our local event, then please
feel free to do so...I wont turn you away (even if you do say "about" in a funny
way).  But remember, as my mother used to say... "My house, my rules".  So
please be prepared to respect the house rules :)

Additionally, I'm positive that competing in RTL21 would not prevent anyone from
modifying their 'bot to meet a different club's (or convention's) set of rules
for a similar event.  (At least not prevent anyone who had the wherewithal to
travel and enter in such an event.)

Just my 2 cents.

-Rob A>