 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15901
Re: Tug of war ??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:34:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
Chris and Calum,

You guys have done a fine job of creating and running events for your group,
but you've both made it clear that rtl is not interested in contributing or
participating with the Mindstorms community outside your little group.  And
that's fine.  Obviously, you can't be required to be more involved than you
want.

I feel this statement is a insult to RTL, and to the wider lego community.  I
really do.  I have not ever taken part in a RTL event, but I have had some
discussions with RTL members, I know RTL _is_ involved in "the wider community",
beyond just RTL members...if they were not doing shows, were not putting on
public displays of Lego mindstorms, then I could understand.  But they are.  I
know RTL has done discussions at quite serious forums (Toronto Society Of Model
Engineers, established before either you or I were born...heck, established
before my parents were born...1933).  I know that RTL has done several hobby
shows, model railway shows, 20 robotic events at public libaries...I in general
find that attitude above to be a insult to Chris and Calum.  RTL represents as
far as I understand, all the Toronto area Mindstorms adult organization...unless
you know otherwise?  Therefore what "wider area" are you meaning?  Or are you
going to in your benevolance, rent a bus,pay for hotel rooms, meals, and time
off work for RTL to attend Brickfest? Give me a break.  I know I have had events
I would like to attend, but cannot afford to do so- either for time, or for
money reasons...quite often, by both.  I chose where I am going to spend my
hobby money like everyone else...

I like the tug-of-war rules Dave outlined, and will suggest something
similar to the BrickFest committee, because it's very much in line with what
has been discussed.

It would have been nice to make a challenge that's bigger than one club,
group or event, because I know how popular things like the GBC have become
all over the world.  But it doesn't look like that's going to happen.  Oh,
well.

No, Chris and Calum (and RTL) will set a set of rules for RTL 21 (Tug of War)
and if _you_ want to run with the ball, I am sure they would welcome it.  It
doesn't mean that you have to have the same rules as RTL 21, just that RTL has a
set of rules for a tug of war, which then impose some restrictions on how RTL
wants to do something...I can see several stratagies to "win" the contest, and
not all of them involve a monolithic battery box robot...although that is quite
possibly one way _to_ win.