 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12207
Re: Onwards to rtlToronto18...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:29:27 GMT

venue last Saturday, audience pleasing shouldn't be a major factor (not too many
walk-ins)  I wanted to see nifty building techniques--the last marble sorting

Oakwood has always been quiet.  I don't know what it is, but whenever we do an
event at Oakwood, there's no one there.  On the other hand, Lillian always gives
us a draw.

'bots completely impressed me--from Rob's 'get all marble 'bot' to I think it
was Ivans with the 'harvister' front--completely blew me away.  Sure big 'bots
have some great 'wow' factors, but the smaller you makeit, I think the bigger
the 'wow!'--'you fit all that into that small a space??'  That's what I
want--the "holy crap!! How did you do that in such a tinly little space??' (like
the Genie in Aladdin)

So, the draw of the new contest is:

-Smaller blocks: Harder to manipulate
-Coloured blocks:  Addition of sorting function
-Smaller size:  Need to be more clever in construction

I think by the sounds of it, those are different competitions--bringing blocks
back to the starting square, stack any block, and stack sorted blocks.  I can't
see how that would be 'fair' to play one 'bot which is sorting and stacking
against a 'bot that dumps blocks into the starting square.  Not that I'm all
'fairness' either :)

Not necessarily:

We could set up a few goals, of which your robot can try and maximize.  For
example:

-You get points for building at home
-You get points for sorting blocks
-You get points for building towers

An entry robot could only build towers.  A full blown competitor could do all
three.  A midrange competitor might sort and build but not navigate home.

A newcomer could be very happy with making a robot that works, but is also
competiting with a more advanced entrant.  Even though you could say there's no
point in pitting the two together, seeing as the advanced robot would outright
win in points, there's always luck.

On Saturday, Greg's robot never beat anyone in speed, but it was consistent.
Some of the faster, more engineered robots also fell off the table a lot.

Calum