 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10823
10822  |  10824
Subject:
Logic Only - Early results (the polls are still open)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:31:11 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Michael Purvis wrote:
I'll give it a look tonight. I have a feeling it might be a problem specifically
when ir plays first, since the code for that is pretty awkward.

It's not just when you play first, or second.

There are other choices?

The other choice is to explain it better.  I chose not to do that.  :)

For those who are curious, I have some early results for the Code-only Connect
Four game.

At rtl15, I played Derek two games (each of us went first, once) and I won both.
Derek, of course, finished ahead of everyone else listed below, because he
actually had a robot that could play.  :)

In the first game, our fastest move times were very close, so the only
difference was the 'thinking' time.  Here are the move times (as recorded by the
arbitrator, thanks Derek)

Player Min Max Average Total Time
Steve 8.873 13.219 10.70 03:13
Derek 9.283 67.888 29.15 09:14

Also, at rtl15, Mario played his logic against my robot.  Mario went first, but
was only able to play to a draw.

Before rtl15, I tested against Greg D.  (from Lafayette).  My robot was able to
win going first or second, but I think his robot would have been a very good
match for Derek's.  (if it had worked)

Mike P. sent me his code.  While his RCX software didn't do well, (at all) the
PC based version would draw with mine.  (the player going first always wins)
BTW, this was a pain to test.  :)

Today, I got software from Kevin C.  Talk about a pain.  It may have been easier
to run against Mike's PC based software.  I don't think it's possible to stop
and re-start a game, without re-loading the firmware, which takes every bit of
five minutes.  And, of course, he has different firmware, depending on who goes
first.

Over lunch, I played one game, and wasn't really surprised with the results.
The entire game (after set-up) only took 19 seconds, but after loading firmware
about four times, I didn't have enough time to play the second game.  I'll try
to do it tonight.

Steve