 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10708
10707  |  10709
Subject:
The NEXT game.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:44:45 GMT

In conversations that started off with Bruce, and expanded to a few of
us at the end of the night.... I think we have a working game to be
argued about here.

our criteria.

1.  Chris does not want to hump the 8x8' play field anywhere
2. Bruce does not ever want to use an OS other then standard lego
firmware
3. I don't ever want to have to learn C, bit masking, alpha beta
pruning/ or game theory to have to play a game.
4. people seemed to want a return to a mechanical game with a mobile
robot
5. anything Rob S. wanted was flat out ignored

so with that in mind we came up with MANY ideas that I just didn't like.

Our venue for the next game will be at the oakwood library. that space
has a pipe grid in the ceiling, that just BEGS to be used.

so, at the end of the night, we all seemed to like the idea of a Rope
climbing game.

the concept is this.  (rules to be finalized)

8" cubed max size robot.
15' of #8 cotton sash cord
one BELL

build a robot, that starts off no larger than 8" cubed, and have it
drive forward (maybe 3 feet ish) to find a rope suspended 12"  off the
ground.

the first robot to climb the twelve foot height to ring the bell will
win.

some rules.

NO SAFETY NET WILL BE PROVIDED!!!!  if you don't like it. don't enter.
if you break your rcx I'm sure mattais will be willing to repair your
brick for a fee.

2 ropes will be hung, so robots can compete at the same time.

Calum will name this event something dumb, but I will always
unofficially call it something else. (to be decided)

I'd like some feedback from the rest of the group !!!! WHO WILL ENTER
!!! a robot.

Calum, and I would also like to try something different this time
around.

we will be moving to a simple registration system, so that we can come
up with a valid way to place, rank, and score the game.

all too often no one has a good idea how many people will be entering a
robot.  (like Vittali, and Alex this time around were a complete
surprise)

there will be no fee, and this will work on the honor system, but to
enter a robot, you will have to simply send an e-mail to calum, or
myself, saying that you will be there with a robot.

that's all.

no fee, no pressure about a name for your robot... just your human name
and good word that you want to attend.

this way we might have a better grasp on how to run the event.

Chris