 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10711
Re: The NEXT game.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:56:33 GMT

the first robot to climb the twelve foot height to ring the bell will
win.

I've been dying to do a rope/over our heads game for a long long time.    LEAVE
NO PART OF YOUR ROBOT ON FLOOR.  YOU TAKE IT ALL, DINK. :)

Now that that has been stated, some debate:

Rope and distance from rope at a defined distance?
Load robot must carry?
RCX limit?
Rope knotted?
Specs for rope for purchase at Rona?

What determines win?  Fastest up the rope?

Just a suggestion from an 'outsider' (non-RTL person) - how about robots that
have to climb the rope, then back down to the ground, and back to their starting
spot, or to a common "finish line"?

This would make multiple challenges:  Find the rope, climb the rope, reverse
direction, back down the rope (careful not to drop off the end!), re-orient
position to find the finish (since the rope could easily turn while the bot is
on it)...

You could have a beacon of some sort marking the finish line, maybe a light
pulsing at a certain frequency?

Of course it's easier to *suggest* things like this than to *build* a robot to
handle them.  :-)

Me?  I'll stick with trains, thank you very much!

JohnG, GMLTC