 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10728
Re: The NEXT game.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 02:12:51 GMT

5. anything Rob S. wanted was flat out ignored

Anything anyone wants will be flat out ignored.  Sick of doing games where the
requestor doesn't show the hell up (Rob, Matthias, Greg :).

Actually, I couldn't be more happy with my decision to forego C4. I knew I was
in way over my head. I had a lot of fun entering my silly marble robot on
Saturday. Probably the most fun I've had at a competition yet. Thanks for
running the game Dave!

8" cubed max size robot.
15' of #8 cotton sash cord
one BELL

build a robot, that starts off no larger than 8" cubed, and have it
drive forward (maybe 3 feet ish) to find a rope suspended 12"  off the
ground.

the first robot to climb the twelve foot height to ring the bell will
win.

The rope being suspended higher than the robot is a nice touch. I like it.

Now that that has been stated, some debate:

Rope and distance from rope at a defined distance?

Maybe having the rope at a random distance would require the robot to detect it,
giving the RCX something to do. Since the goal of these games is to play with
RCX's, its a shame when they can be done with battery boxes.

Load robot must carry?

No. I don't think this would be necessary.

RCX limit?

No need. Use 10 if you want.

Rope knotted?

I think plain rope would make for a smoother climb. Cotton should be grippy
enough.

What determines win?  Fastest up the rope?

Sure. First one to ring the bell. How about this: stick one of those velcro
balls to the top of the rope, and for bonus points, the robot can grab it and
bring it down. This would not be required, but an option for those who want to
take on the challenge. It would add another dimension to the game.

I'd like some feedback from the rest of the group !!!! WHO WILL ENTER
!!! a robot.

I'm interested. This might even be doable without electricity. Such fun. I'll
never complain about the unchallenging programming again.

Rob