 Organizations / 487
Re: Definitions: LUG or LTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 17:45:45 GMT

Hi,

One note of compartmentalized dorkism, I've cross-posted to lugnet.org since
this is looking for thoughts on orgs.

Anyway, I only have a very recent experience of LUGs (I've been to the last
two meetings but will have to miss the one this weekend), so I can't really
speak for LUGOLA but just my first impressions of LUGOLA.  I'm very
surprised and a little impressed by the amount of organization some LUGs
seem to have (charters, officers, well-organized websites) and the amount of
public displays.  LUGOLA (in my limited experience), is much more laid back,
perhaps as befitting the stereotypical LA lifestyle.  Every couple of months
there is some chatter in org.us.lugola about when should we meet next, and
someone ends up hosting us, or this spring we met at a restaurant with a
side room we could use.  Basically people show up with their MOCs, or
without, just to hang out for a few hours, talk, show off our creations,
maybe do some buy/sell/trading.  I would like to maybe some time do
something more organized, like plan to do a moonbase and each bring modules,
or do some sort of  "Junkyard Wars" type build contest, or play Brickwars at
a meeting, but for now I feel like the "new guy" and haven't really pushed
to organize something.

As to membership, as far as I can tell, pretty much anyone who wants to come
comes.  We are mostly in our 20s and 30s, though there are some older and
some younger.  Mostly guys.  Several of the members are into Mecha, so there
are always several of these, but we also have space, town, sculptures,
castle, technic, trains, etc creations.  There is some overlap with SCLTC,
which seems to be a much more organized group (see Adrian's post on SCLTC).

Right now we don't really have a website, but we are starting to talk about
it.  For the meantime there is a temp page at www.lugola.com, but so far it
is really just a link to my own webpage that has pictures from the last two
meetings.  I suspect that on Saturday there will be more talk about what
sorts of things to put in the website.

As to the more general question about "what is the difference between LUGs
and LTCs?", aside from the obvious difference (trains), it does seem like
LTCs are more into group builds and public displays while LUGs are more
social gatherings of people who want to share the things they've built
themselves.  Of course, that overgenerallization runs into exceptions in
just about every case, but that's my general impression.

Bruce