 Trains / 17541
Re: Definitions: LUG or LTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:08:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:

For the FGLTC there is no evident difference to the kind of organization as
James T. has given here for the NGLTC.

From the NGLTC, here is my take on it. First I think the definition of LTCs
and LUGs is pretty clear. As an LTC our focus is LEGO Trains, other themes
only apply if they can be worked into trains or a train layout. As an LTC
our main goal is simple, to build and learn about trains. Secondly
displaying our trains at public (and times private) events. Now the type of
events varies though out the year. We do a number of "for profit" shows such
as Greenberg, GATS and even the local NMRA shows.

We have not had any chance to get a 'for profit' offer. But at least we always
have had the rooms for free we used for our shows.

At the same time we have
become the "ambassador of the brick" for the Atlanta area (mainly due to the
lack of a strong LUG in the area), so we have found ways to share the LEGO
experience with non-train people as well.

Same for FGLTC. There is the 1000steine site for general Lego online talk in
Germany, but we have no LUGs here. So the FGLTC has always been a meeting
point for all Lego-fans in and around Germany.

As far as club structure, well ours is pretty basic. I take care of
scheduling events and the club web site, beyond that we all help with show
preparations, setup and layout ideas. Our guidelines for becoming a member
are pretty fluid, basically you have to and adult that is willing to spend
time at the shows, help setup or take down when possible and contribute to
the group in some way. Either by building trains, rolling stock, town stuff
or just willing to man the layout some during shows. If someone is
contributing the best they can and has a passion for LEGO, then they can be
a member.

Nearly 100% the same for FGLTC. No rules, no member fees. Just come to one of
our shows, help us in putting things together or support us with any MOC that
fits into a train layout. Then you might be named as member, if you like. And
if it is a none-train-theme MOC that you want to bring to any of our shows -
that is no problem at all: it will be put at some neighbour table and visitors
like to see Space or Model Team as well....

Finally I think that fellowship is what keeps us coming back to each show.
One of the best parts of the show is just hanging out and talking trains and
LEGO and it's great that LEGO trains is the kind of hobby that can bring
that kind of relaxing interaction. If it wasn't for this I can't image that
we'd continue to put ourselves though the hardship of setups and take downs
6-7 times a year.

Here it is only 3...4 times per year, but the Legotalk with the Co-Afols is at
least as important as displaying own stuff and having a look at other peoples
creations. It's always great to get to know some of the people you only know
by mail and forums in real life.

Leg Godt!

Ben
(FGLTC)