 Trains / 17565
Re: Definitions: LUG or LTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:47:47 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:

I would like to get some feedback from members of LUGs and LTCs on their
opinions of what the differences are. Some areas that I'm interested in are:
goals of the club, public interactions (aka shows/venues), membership
structure/government, fellowship expectations (friends vs acquaintances)...

BayLUG was formed as a general interest group because at the time there wasn't
enough train-heads to form a train specific club. BayLTC was formed with the
purpose of displaying at the NMRA National Train Show in San Jose in 2000.

GOALS: BayLUG's primary goal is to allow LEGO fans from the Bay Area a place to
go to buy/sell/trade, show off, and talk. BayLTC's primary goal is to display at
train shows and other venues.

PUBLIC INTERACTION: Because most BayLUG meetings are held in a public library,
there is a library regulation that the meeting has to be open to the public.
Therefore, just about every meeting has public interaction. We will usually
split the meeting into a member only half an an open to the public half. The
public can buy/sell/trade and get the opportunity to meet and talk to members.
We have even had some of them bring their own stuff to "show off" to our
members.

Some BayLTC meetings are held during the members only half, and some are held at
local pizza parlors or at another member's home. BayLTC has done two train shows
already, and we are signed-up to do a third one later this year. I anticipate we
will do 4-5 shows next year, including setting up at BricksWest 2003.

MEMBERSHIP STRUCTURE/GOVERNMENT: BayLUG has membership dues with a few different
levels of membership and benefits. When you sign up as a member of BayLUG, you
are given the option to join BayLTC as well. Most BayLTC members are also BayLUG
members. We have no formal leadership. There is an admin committee of five. We
discuss the "behind the sceens" aspects of the clubs like membership benefits,
money, mailing lists, the web site, places/dates/times for meetings, and
other leadership topics. Officially we have about 100 members, but probably only
half of them are active in the clubs. The admin committee comes up with
leadership ideas and changes, and we usually put those ideas up for vote at the
next meeting. All members present get a vote, and those who aren't there have to
go along with what the decision was.

FELLOWSHIP EXPECTATIONS: I consider many people in the LUGNET/AFOL/LEGO
community to be my friends, including club members, those who I have had the
pleasure of meeting in person, and even those who I communicate with online but
have never met.

LUG/LTC DIFFERENCES: I think the main difference is trains. I think most of the
LTCs that form are branched from LUGs. This was our case. This also appears to
be true for groups like MichLUG, GFLUG, WAMALUG, etc. Although I think some LUGs
may have formed from the LTCs, like GMLUG. There also are groups like NELUG that
also do train shows, and this is fine. I think the decision to be a LUG or an
LTC should always be determined by those forming the club, based on the best
interest of the members, but that decision shouldn't keep a LUG from doing a
train show.

Russell
co-founder, BayLUG/BayLTC