 Trains / 17582
Re: Definitions: LUG or LTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 00:44:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Rayhawk writes:
In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley writes:
As I said we had to have a tax ID number in order to do business with one
client that was ready to pay us a pretty decent amount of money.  We looked
into the 3 options you suggested (partnership, non-profit group, or
Incorporation).

Did you look into forming an LLC or an LLP?  In a regular partnership I'd be
worried that someone would slip on a brick or something at a NELUG event and
try to sue the pants off of the partners.

Yeah sorry I guess I wasn't spacific enough.  We are a Limited Partnership
which limits our liability to the value of NELUG's assets, which while
substantial from the groups perspective they are minimal in terms of real value.

<humor>

Of course slipping on a brick is possible but the main reason we wanted to
limit liability in the case of harassement suits.  For example lets say one of
our members, call him "Sean", where to constantly harass the writer of a role
playing game, call him "Ray Hawk".

In this purely hypothetical situation "Sean" is bombarding "Ray" with e-mails
in order to get the latest rule set before everyone else or to change rules
that don't suit his style of play.  These e-mails come 4 to 5 times a day at
times.  Then "Sean" finds out that "Susan" gets regular updates from "Ray"
often without barely asking where many of "Sean's" e-mails go unanswered.  This
just infuriates "Sean" sending him off the deep end with all sorts of Flames at
"Ray" including threats of non-violent meyhem including the destruction of
models of "Ray" in effigy durring play of his role playing game.

Well as you see things could get hairy at times and we need to protect
ourselves from these situations with limited liability.

NOTE:  The names above are purely fictional and do not represent any persons
real, or imagined.  Any likeness or referance to any person living or dead was
purely intentional.

</humor>

I know most of you won't get that but I think most of NELUG will...

Eric Kingsley